Price at time of Review $24.99
PhonoPix version 2.0 is an exciting update to the engaging phonological app with flashcard and matching activities. The highly requested group scoring feature is available for collecting scores in flashcards on up to 4 children at a time. A group of students can now collect data as they practice sounds in words and sentences with a speech-language pathologist, their parents, or independently.
PhonoPix is a phonological app and the companion to our successful articulation app called ArtikPix. PhonoPix has flashcard and matching activities with minimal pairs to contrast childrenʼs incorrect responses with the target responses. Example minimal pairs include “tea” and “key,” “ton” and “sun,” “bee” and “beach,” and many more.
PhonoPix has 10 decks with 40 minimal pairs in each (400 total pairs) for the following phonological processes: prevocalic voicing, word final devoicing, final consonant deletion, fronting (palatal and velar), marked blend reduction, unmarked blend reduction, gliding (“l” and “r” sounds), stopping, backing (palatal and velar), and initial consonant deletion. Children view the minimal pairs in double-sided flashcards by flicking through an album and tapping an around button. In the matching activity, children have fun matching the minimal pairs in three different levels: easy with 3 pairs, medium with 6 pairs, and hard with 10 pairs.
During the flashcard and matching activities, children practice by listening to the recorded audio, recording their voice to self-monitor, and collecting scores (aka data). Scores are collected only for the cards representing the target response. The scores are then saved in the app or exported with information regarding the phonological process practiced.
The flashcard and matching activities include the following features:
• Group scoring in flashcards to collect data on up to 4 students at a time
• combine card decks and specify ordering
• choose sounds groups to practice
• color coded cards
• auto-play of audio recordings
• tap-to-play audio
• record your voice and play the voice recording (external mic/earphones with mic needed for iPod touch prior to 4th generation)
• collect scores by tallying for specified sound groups (e.g., beginning th, er)
• tallied scores are automatically converted to percentage based data
• save scores in the app with timestamp
• copy scores to clipboard, email, and Google Spreadsheet
• configurable options for app sounds (e.g., audio recordings) and visuals (e.g., hide matched cards, unmatched card delay)
• Audio feedback for scoring
• Multi-tasking for iOS 4.2
• Sound group title added to the top of flashcards and matching cards to clarify scoring